Website Virgin Money
As Virgin Money executes its Data Strategy and continues to build a strategic data asset (the data fabric) on AWS we have a Data Science opportunity to really exploit the combined data of all heritages from the platform and provide actionable insight. We’re looking for an experienced Data Scientist to support us in delivering data insights and solutions to a variety of business areas. We’re looking for someone who can communicate effectively with our stakeholders, understand business needs and translate these into actionable outputs. The ideal candidate is a team player with strong knowledge of data science techniques complemented with the soft skills to present results of the projects. Sound good? Read on…
- You’ll be responsible for carrying out a diverse portfolio of analytical and machine learning projects, focused on different areas across the bank. Our stakeholders often require our expertise to define the areas in which data science can help them. As such, you will have excellent communication skills and become a Data story teller advising how Machine Learning can support Business areas realise their core objectives. You will determine the best technical solution without necessarily needing explicit requirements.
- You’ll have a keen eye for detail and be proactive in gaining useful insights from the various sources of data that can aid the business in their decision making and enhance our customer centric outlook.
- You’ll be highly motivated in advocating the use of data and machine learning within the business. You will work in a Data Science Innovation Lab environment taking part in design sprints, to provide knowledge from a data perspective. More often, this will be through your projects and interactions with the stakeholders. That being said, the majority of the work being undertaken will be analytical, involving extracting statistical summaries, capturing trends and joining data from various sources to enhance insights. A key part of this is the ability to visualise and communicate the output of your work to engage stakeholders and ensure it delivers value to the business.
Qualification & Experience:
- Experience of SQL (Oracle, MySQL, HiveQL etc.) together with an understanding of how relational database systems work
- Experience using R or Python for data analysis and a working knowledge of data manipulation tools within either language (dplyr, pandas etc.)
- Excellent presentation skills, including Data Visualisation, oral and written communication skills (Tableau experience beneficial)
Company: Virgin Money
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Application Deadline: N/A