Website City of Victoria
The City of Victoria seeks a high energy and motivated Manager of Financial Planning to join our dynamic team.
Reporting directly to the Deputy Director of Finance, and as a key member of the Finance leadership team, this position will effectively lead, perform, and manage budgeting processes using professional judgment and ensuring compliance with legislation and principles of public sector budgeting and finance in alignment with the City’s strategic and operational plans.
This exciting position provides a motivated individual the opportunity to build collaborative and consultative partnerships with all City departments. Your financial acumen and ability to develop strong relationships will enable you to influence, innovate and to formulate meaningful vision that will enhance and optimize value for the City.
If you are able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in a fast-paced team focused workplace designed to serve the community effectively and efficiently, then this opportunity may be for you. Superior leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, complemented by a diplomatic demeanor and good judgment are essential requirements along with a proven track record of innovative financial services.
- In this position, it will be essential that you establish key relationships as you work collaboratively with stakeholders during the City’s budget development and monitoring processes. Recognizing that the Finance Department is both an external and internal service department, the position will ensure exceptional customer service in managing the budget planning process including: develop budget guidelines, oversee preparation of budget documents, variance reports, analysis and recommendations for resolving issues; oversee the administration of budget financial systems; oversee budgeting and accounting processes in conjunction with the Manager of Accounting and Manager of Revenue.
- You will ensure compliance with legislation and external reporting requirements and apply a continuous improvement approach to the City’s financial planning process including: prepare the City’s financial plan (5-year operating and 20-year capital budgets) and other long range financial plans, develop funding strategies taking into consideration asset management plans; prepare the financial plan bylaw, and other related bylaws for adoption by Council; calculate annual property tax rates; coordinate and direct the preparation of a variety of financial reports and analysis such as budget variance reports, grant claims and gas tax reports for various internal and external stakeholders
- Your success will hinge on your expertise and ability to provide professional advice on financial and budget matters to Council, senior managers and staff including items such as financial analysis, statutory requirements, and financial best practices. You will prepare and deliver budget reports and presentations to Council and make recommendations on complex budget and financial management issues, including financial modeling for various scenarios. You will guide, develop and administer financial policies and procedures and have an innate ability to communicate complex financial and technical information to a diverse group of people in an easy to understand manner.
- You have the ability to effectively lead, foster and encourage a positive team environment. You will lead a talented team of 4 professional staff and clerical staff, with full responsibility to develop annual work plans, provide performance support and respond to labour relations issues.
- You will represent the City to other organizations, government agencies and the public including: public engagement sessions related to financial planning; negotiations with banks on financial issues; debt funding discussions with the Municipal Finance Authority.
- Bachelors Degree in Business or Public Administration specializing in finance or accounting
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation
- 5-7 years of progressively responsible management experience in a diverse complex organization, preferably local government, with sound supervisory experience in a unionized workforce.
Company: City of Victoria
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Victoria, BC, CA
Application Deadline: N/A