Website State of Michigan
This is an entry-level position. At the entry level, employees are required to complete the approved training program designed to provide the knowledge and skills required to function as a corrections officer. Upon successful completion of the training and other departmental requirements, the officer will complete the probationary period at an assigned correctional facility. The employee participates in the custody, security and treatment of prisoners or detainees while learning and developing the interpersonal skills required to perform a range of corrections officer assignments.
Corrections Officer E8
- No specific type or amount is required.
A new hire must finish an approved eight-week corrections officer training program (currently four weeks virtual and four weeks in person), followed by eight weeks of on-the-job training at a correctional facility. Successful completion of the training program, annual training and continuing certification as a Corrections Officer are required to remain employed.
- On a post assignment in learning and developing capacity
- Observes prisoners’ or detainees’ activities to detect unusual or prohibited behavior that might be a threat to the security of the facility or the safety of prisoners, detainees, employees or visitors
- Responds quickly to calls for assistance in other areas of the prison or facility as directed.
- Assists in controlling disturbances and isolating instigators
- Observes and appropriately responds to such “critical incidents” as assaults on employees, prisoners or detainees; prisoner or detainee disturbances; or other situations threatening the security of the facility, and prepares written reports. Appropriate responses may include the use of firearms.
- Prepares written records and reports related to the work
- Performs related work as assigned
Company: State of Michigan
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kalamazoo, MI, US
Application Deadline: N/A