Website State of North Carolina
The Orientation and Mobility Specialist position provides individualized orientation and mobility assessments and training for consumers who are blind, visually impaired, and deaf-blind. Some Specialists provide instruction in specialized skill areas that will enable the consumers to achieve their independent living, travel, and employment goals. This position provides training and instruction services to those in Alamance, Caswell, Davidson, Guilford, Randolph, Rockingham, Stokes, and Surry County.
- Assess client’s needs, goals, readiness and motivation to learn orientation and mobility skills
- Determine client’s understanding of spatial and directional concepts
- Provide one-on-one instruction including concepts and techniques such as sensory/concept development, pre-cane skills, sighted guide, cane techniques, route planning/travel in a variety of situations, soliciting situations, use of public transportation, use of residual vision/low vision aids, orientation to electronic travel aids and preparation for travel
- Assess a consumer’s need for mobility with regard to previous O & M training, residual vision, the individual needs of the consumer, the physical and mental condition of the consumer, and their motivation to be independent in this area
- Identify locomotor, auditory, visual, or other physical problems and refer consumer to appropriate specialist resources.
Selected applicant needs to have the means to travel as the job requires.
Bachelor’s degree in visual impairment field from an appropriately accredited institution and certification by the Academy for Certification of Education and Rehabilitation Professionals (ACVREP) as a Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialist (COMS), as needed for the area of assignment.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as rehabilitation counseling or social work and three years of direct service experience with individuals who are blind or visually impaired and certification as indicated above as needed for the area of assignment.
Applicants who do not possess certification are required to obtain certification within two years from the date of employment. Management has the option of choosing certification requirements based on the area of assignment in order to meet the needs of the clients and the program.To receive credit for all of your work history and credentials, you must list the information on the application form. Any information listed under the text resume section or on an attachment will not be considered for qualifying credit.
- In-depth knowledge of the restrictive effects of visual impairments,mobility theories, techniques and methodologies
- Demonstrated abilityteaching consumers of all ages with an understanding of the unique needs of the various age ranges
- Knowledgeof the variety of orientation and mobility devices
- Demonstrated skill in the use of mobility equipment
- Proven ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally
Company: State of North Carolina
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Winston Salem, NC, US
Application Deadline: N/A