Website Ministry of Justice
The roles involve providing advice in respect to recommendations for new appointments of courts and tribunals judicial office holders, including magistrates. This involves working with the Judicial Appointments Commission (JAC), the Ministry of Justice, HMCTS and Advisory Committees. The team assist in planning JAC recruitment campaigns, through to advising the senior judiciary and the Lord Chancellor on whether to accept recommendations for appointment.
The team also works on the deployment of candidates following selection, and supports the swearing-in ceremonies of certain judicial office holders. The team provides support to the Senior Presiding Judge on the appointment of magistrates , drafting advice recommending appointments. Once office holders are in post, the team provide advice on the authorisation of judges and the deployment of individuals to other roles, including leadership roles.
The team also action the retirement of all judicial office holders, including the appointment of individuals to sit following retirement.
The team is also accountable for managing the fee-paid resignations, renewals and deaths in service, producing valedictory letters and accurately updating both electronic records. They also manage resignations ,retirements and deaths in service in the magistracy.
- To support the Band C in identifying resources for recruitment campaigns and being responsible for refreshing the pool of judges.
- Provide support and advice to the senior judiciary on post appointment queries when necessary.
- To draft valedictory letters on behalf of the senior judiciary.
- To arrange and assist with swearing-in ceremonies for Circuit Judges and above. To provide assistance at the ceremonies and to lead as and when required, ensuring that ceremonies run smoothly.
- Ad hoc duties, including oversight of the budget, assistance with scanning of documents, the provision of statistics and assistance across the team when required
- Supporting the Band C in dealing with nominations for magistrates to receive a public honour, including helping with the preparation of case papers for the two annual sift meetings led by Magistrates’ HR.
- To support the Band C in managing the appointments process for both courts and tribunals from High Court downwards in a timely and efficient manner
- To draft accurate offer letters and public announcements, and to take forward medical checks and secure Royal Warrants and Instruments of Appointment.
- Collaborating with the Advisory Committees on the production of long service certificates for magistrates
- Responsibility for recruitment page web updates which involves proactive engagement with Advisory Committees on timings of recruitment and appointment submission
- To provide assistance with HR Freedom of Information and Subject Access Requests
- To ensure that e-HR (the records management system) is kept up to date.
- Provide accurate and timely advice to the Lord Chancellor, the Lord Chief Justice, the Senior President of Tribunals and the Senior Presiding Judge on JAC reports that recommend candidates for judicial appointment, renewals, resignations and extensions of appointments.
- Handling the renewals of judges’ appointments using the teams e-HR, I.T database system.
- Able to make decisions using sound judgement.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to communicate effectively with different stakeholders across all levels of seniority.
- Knowledge of the work of the judiciary.
- Experience of working with Judicial Office Holders
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage your own workload effectively.
- Strong IT skills (should be able to work confidently in Word, Excel, Outlook including the ability to make formatting and layout changes to documents, manipulate data in Excel using basic formulae, sorting and filtering and be able to use databases confidently).
- Strong team player with the ability to support colleagues across HR Operations.
- Excellent attention to detail.
Company: Ministry of Justice
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: London, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A