Website Marks and Spencer
There has never been a more exciting time to join our digital and data team! Why? Because we are at the start of a journey that will fundamentally change our business, and how our customers shop with us both today – and in the future.
As a result, we are looking for an experienced technical leader to help us continue to turbocharge data science at M&S.
The community is dedicated to building end-to-end AI and machine learning solutions in retail and e-commerce. This helps our colleagues in Food, Clothing & Home, Fashion, Marketing, Loyalty, Supply Chain, Growth and Customer Services to drive value from data and build personalised experiences for our customers.
- Develop, mentor and coach individual team members.
- Lead the concurrent development of multiple projects through an agile workflow.
- Use experienced knowledge of data science techniques and statistics to both lead and regularly deliver sophisticated projects, with a robust commercial approach, being mindful that operationalisation is a key success criteria.
- Develop a long-term vision of the team, clearly demonstrate an expertise above and beyond current capabilities and introduce data science solutions into everyday business problems.
- Implement a highly visual and commercial approach when delivering data science projects that engages and challenges the thinking of non-technical audiences.
- Build industrialised data science products by promoting accurate software development standards and practices.
- Work with business and technology partners to establish a productive analytical and development environment.
- Work as a hands-on technical leader, take the ownership of delivering sophisticated projects, support their team members and play a role model.
- Experience in retail or e-commerce.
- Significant experience in landing data science capability, applying the most effective statistical and ML models on real world commercial problems and having measured the business benefits.
- MSc or PhD in a STEM subject e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, etc.
- Strong statistical background applied across a number of areas: segmentations, NLP, predictive modelling and recommendation systems.
- Experience using both simple and sophisticated statistical models such as regression, clustering, affinity analysis, causal inference models, time series, convolutional neural networks and transformers.
- Comprehensive proficiency in key programming and scripting languages (e.g. Python, R, SPARK, SQL, etc) and software development skills.
- Specialist in mining large & sophisticated data sets – both structured and unstructured data and including (but not limited to) efficient extraction of data, transformation and application.
- Able to demonstrate innovation in approach and application.
- Development of collaborative relationships with colleagues across the business.
- Clear interpersonal skills are important, as the role will require translating data science into meaningful insight and influencing wider community at M&S.
Company: Marks and Spencer
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Liverpool, England, UK
Application Deadline: N/A