The Instruments Division provides engineering and technology leadership in the development of scientific instruments to explore the Earth, planets, and the cosmos beyond. Applications include ground based, airborne, sub-orbital, and space-based instruments and systems. Division capabilities range from instrument conceptual design through implementation, deployment, and science product generation and distribution.
The Mechanical Engineer III will be working within the Instruments Division, the Instrument Systems Implementation and Concepts Section, that provides the Laboratory with centers of expertise in the formulation and implementation of scientific instruments, cryogenic systems, and airborne/suborbital scientific investigations. The Cryogenic Systems Engineer will be a member of the Cryogenic Systems Engineering group and will report to the Group Supervisor.
- Provide sustained thermal and cryogenic engineering support on a flight project or technology development tasks by yourself or as a lead of a small team to meet thermal element deliverables, including competed mission proposals.
- Support thermal and cryogenic technology development efforts for future flight applications including maturation and risk-reduction program strategies, test article definition and set up, instrumentation, data acquisition, data analysis.
- Responsible for mechanical and electrical designs, fabrication and assembly of test hardware in support of on-going projects within the Group.
- Major responsibilities include architecting tests and identifying viable thermal vacuum hardware designs, assessing performance, procuring and integrating hardware and conducting tests.
- Interface with JPL engineering team members, and vendors as needed to aid and hasten development.
- Help architect tests, write test plan and report, setup test, conduct test review and test, and perform any required pre-test and post-test thermal analyses.
- Crafts and makes effective presentations at major reviews or routine team meetings to tell credible thermal story to managers and peers, close all ensuing review action items.
- Builds trusting relationships between customer, team members, and line management
- Mentors junior team members as needed.
- Partner with other engineers and project personnel to evaluate tests and verify cryogenic products or systems.
- Conduct complex design analyses and oversees assembly and test of cryogenic components.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering (thermal focus) or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 6 years of related work experience; Master’s degree in similar discipline with a minimum of 4 years of related work experience; or PhD degree in similar discipline with a minimum of 2 years of related experience.
- Must have general understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in heat transfer (especially fundamental radiation heat-transfer principles), fluid dynamics and thermal engineering.
- Broad knowledge in one or more of the following areas: mechanical and electrical design, cryogenic systems, vacuum systems, environmental test chambers, clean room facility practices and standards, pressure vessels and piping systems, and their operations.
- Extensive understanding of use of general laboratory equipment including laboratory electronics, leak detectors, vacuum pumps, GM coolers, vacuum chambers, chillers, temperature controllers, and process safety management, hazardous materials.
- Extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of applications related to thermal vacuum chambers, pressure vessel systems, piping system safety, and their operations.
- Demonstrated experience working on mechanical and electrical engineering designs, vacuum and pressure systems engineering, effectively interfacing with all levels of management, operations personnel and technical activities. A self-starter and task-oriented team player with strong customer service skills and excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, presentation and planning skills.
- Capability to identify creative designs within available project resources to meet requirements without appreciable line management oversight.
- Demonstrated capability of task ownership and commitment to working extra hours to meet key milestones.
- Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Francisco, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A