Website City of Frisco
Under general supervision of the Detention Supervisor, the Detention Officer performs all duties necessary for the successful operation of the Detention Facility. Performs booking procedures into and out of the municipal detention facility and monitoring the care of the prisoners in the detention facility. Must be available to work any shift, holidays and/or weekends.
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent(s) in this position. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties in this description and incumbent(s) may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.
- Performs booking procedures into/out of the municipal detention facility, including logging in of property, recording names into the arrest book and onto the computer, fingerprinting, photographing, and conducting a secondary search for weapons/drugs before putting prisoners into cells.
- May administer intoxilyzer tests and video tape persons arrested for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI).
- Monitors care of prisoners in the detention facility, including meals, minor medical attention, showers, visitors, and telephone calls.
- Issue prisoner towels and personal hygiene articles.
- May be required to dispense medication as prescribed.
- Monitors prisoners during arraignment proceedings.
- Escorts prisoners from on area to another, including out-of-building escorts as required.
- May be required to transfer prisoners to and from area detention facilities in city vehicle.
- Visually, and through use of remote video surveillance equipment, performs cell checks to monitor prisoner status and behavior.
- Explains bail and bond-out options to prisoners charged with offenses; accepts bail, bonds, or fines from and completes release forms for prisoners.
- Locks cell doors take physical action to prevent escapes and/or assaults, subdue combative/violent prisoners.
- Facilitate prisoner visitations with relatives and legal counsel.
- Assists in preparing appropriate documentation to ensure the timely transfer of prisoners.
- Attend/testify in all criminal and civil courts when summoned.
- Knowledge of cash handling procedures, including the ability to accurately collect and county money and to make change.
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws, regulations, and procedure applicable to incarceration of prisoners and civil rights.
- Knowledge of penal codes as they relate to incarceration of prisoners.
- Knowledge of internal detention security and order standards
- Health and safety standards applicable to Detention facilities.
- Knowledge of the order and decorum standards for appearing and testifying in court.
- Proficient in the use of computers and related equipment, hardware, and software.
- Must be able to type 20 words per minute.
- Skill in effective oral and written communications including preparation and presentation of reports and materials
- Skill in resolving customer complaints and concerns.
- Knowledge of customer service and training methods and practices.
- Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Must be a Unites States citizen.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age.
- Must be able to successfully complete training in defensive tactics within 1 year of employment and maintain proficiency in defense tactics.
- Must pass a pre-employment drug screen, polygraph, psychological examination, physical agility test, criminal background check and MVR check.
- Must possess a valid State of Texas Driver’s License.
Company: City of Frisco
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Ft. Worth, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A