Water System Inspector I (WSI) is the entry-level position in the Systems Water Quality Unit. Initially under close supervision, WSIs perform a wide range of water distribution system duties focused on water quality. As experience and proficiency are gained, assignments become progressively more difficult and diverse as supervision decreases. The WSI positions offer broad and varied opportunities to learn and to promote to the Water System Inspector II level after two years.
• to read topographical and distribution system maps and specifications
• to use a variety of chlorination, pipe leak location, and related tools and equipment
• to collect, analyze, and integrate data to solve problems
• to independently coordinate, schedule, and conduct routine and complex investigations of water quality, flow, noise, pressure, seepage, and related water system issues
• to apply and interpret state and federal codes and regulations regarding safe drinking water and procedures for monitoring and reporting the results of water disinfection and dechlorination
• to operate a PC proficiently
• workplace safety techniques and procedures related to handling water treatment chemicals, confined space entry, basic first aid, boat safety, and traffic control
• the principles of hydraulics related to systems and backflow prevention devices used in a water transmission and distribution system
• basic chemistry and microbiology principles applicable to water treatment and water quality maintenance
Completion of the twelfth grade, or its equivalent.
Two years of experience in a water or wastewater system in laboratory analysis, engineering, operations, maintenance, customer services or closely related area; OR
Satisfactory completion of 24 college semester units in directly related science coursework.
A valid California driver’s license and a satisfactory driving record.
Possession of, or ability to obtain within 12 months of hire, a State Water Resources Control Board Grade D1 certificate.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: San Jose, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A