You are invited to apply to join a team-oriented group of in-house counsel serving one of the largest and most innovative public water and wastewater utilities in the United States. The East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) is seeking to employ a well-qualified attorney to begin at either the Attorney I or Attorney II level. Our ideal candidate will demonstrate a keen mind, a curious intellect, and commitment to public service. Strong analytical and writing skills are a must, as are an eagerness to learn new areas of law and a genuine passion for collaborating with smart, collegial, and dedicated people.
As a member of the Office of General Counsel (OGC), you will play a key role on many of EBMUD’s most challenging and significant initiatives. Candidates must have at least one year of experience providing legal advice and representation to local public agencies or other governmental entities. The most competitive candidates for this position will have substantial hands-on experience with one or more of the following:
• Law relating to the adoption and increase of rates, charges and fees by California local governmental entities;
• General municipal or public agency law that applies to public entities located within California, including issues arising under open government and public records laws, conflict-of-interest law, elections law, and campaign finance law;
• Contract review and development; and
• Labor and Employment law counseling and litigation, including public labor relations.
Within the areas of experience listed above, under general direction of the General Counsel, the selected attorney will be responsible for performing the following duties:
• Conferring with and advising EBMUD officers, managers, and employees on legal questions;
• Preparing legal opinions;
• Drafting ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and other legal documents;
• Preparing or helping prepare pleadings, discovery, briefs, and other papers in connection with lawsuits and other legal proceedings in which EBMUD is involved;
• Appearing in state and federal court or in various administrative proceedings;
• Performing a wide variety of legal research and drafting and reviewing a variety of legal documents;
• Reviewing EBMUD agreements for conformance with the law and EBMUD policies; and
• Other matters assigned by the General Counsel or Assistant General Counsel.
1. Submit a completed EBMUD application and the required supplemental question responses online at www.ebmud.com by 4:30 p.m., Friday, September 10, 2021. Only application materials submitted online during the filing period will be accepted.
2. All qualified applications and supplemental responses will be competitively evaluated, with those candidates who best match the qualifications we seek invited to a panel interview tentatively scheduled for October 2021. Interviews will be conducted in person if allowed by state and local health guidelines or, if you prefer, will be conducted remotely.
3. Successful candidates will be placed on the hiring list, based on rank, for further consideration to fill the current regular vacancy, as well as others occurring over the next 12 to 24 months.
4. All employment offers are conditional, pending the results of a Live Scan background screening. All selected finalists must participate in the Live Scan background screening process to remain in consideration for EBMUD employment.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Oakland, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A