Intermodal Service Employees (ISE) are responsible for safely performing activities and completing processes that place customer freight for movement on a train from the origin to the CSX Intermodal Terminal destination across our network. The ISEs will also be responsible for ensuring the availability of our customers freight for pick up after arriving at the destination terminal.
- Ascending and descending rail cars
- Operating utility tractors (hostlers) to move equipment on the terminal and operating lift machines that place and remove equipment to and from railcars.
- Ascending and descending vehicle ladder/stairs
- Lifting of interbox connectors (IBC) and related accessories
- Inspection and securement of trailers, containers and intermodal flatcars
- Inspection of equipment for condition and operational readiness
- Operation of various lift equipment configurations to load and unload trailers and containers to/from railcars, stacks, ground or chassis.
- Operation of powered vehicles known as IBC carts
- Connecting and disconnecting airlines (gladhands)
- Working in a high-paced outdoor environment around moving equipment and vehicles
- Assisting lift operators in the proper positioning of equipment
- Connecting, moving, and parking of chassis, trailers and containers on terminal property.
- Manually operating crank handle to raise and lower chassis landing gear legs
- Prolonged sitting in equipment cabs
- Inspection and application of end-of-train device and performance of airbrake tests
- Demonstrate auditory and visual acuity/tracking/inspection
- Miscellaneous activities and responsibilities as assigned by manager
- Moderately heavy to heavy industrial work
- Ability to clean, lubricate and maintain securement devices and other special intermodal equipment
- Must meet color vision and hearing requirements as described in FRA Regulations
- The ability to work positively and contribute to a team focused on customer service and accomplishing productivity targets.
- Physical agility, including lifting, pushing, pulling, and walking
- Knowledge of FRA and AAR securement regulations and railway line clearance requirements
- Ability to identify or analyze defective components and indicate the necessary corrective action
- Walk long distances over uneven terrain
- Driving a tractor/trailer combination in an industrial setting
Qualification & Experience:
- One year experience working in a heavy industrial environment
- One year experience operating heavy machinery
- Three years of outdoor work experience
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class A with Airbrake Endorsement
- 18 years of age or older
- Valid Driver’s License
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Savannah, GA, US
Application Deadline: N/A