Website City of San José
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley is one of the nation’s best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The San José City Council consists of ten Councilmembers elected by district and a Mayor elected at-large, each for four-year terms. The Mayor and Council are responsible for representing the residents of San José, providing accountability, reviewing public policy and programs, and adopting those policies which best meet the needs of the residents, visitors, and businesses in San José.
- Lead initiatives within an assigned policy portfolio. Drive policy priorities through government and legislative process. Research best practices on assigned policy portfolio.
- Gather background information relative to issues pending before the City Council.
- Prepare or assist in preparing speeches and talking points for the Mayor.
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with council offices, community organizations, residents, business community, non-profit organizations, and government agencies as they are key partners on policy and as a representative of the Mayor’s Office.
- Coordinate arrangements for meetings, programs or other civic functions on behalf of the Mayor and team members.
- Attend meetings and community events with the Mayor, requires availability on evenings and weekends.
- Research and analyze a wide variety of materials on assigned projects, programs, and topics.
- Respond to constituent inquiries and issues, resolving complaints, and interpreting operating policies for residents of the community and other interested parties.
- Attend and representing the Mayor at City-related meetings and activities, meeting with governmental agencies, private industry, and the community.
- Coordinate outreach to the business community on business and development policy issues
- Perform other duties of a similar nature or level as required.
To be considered for this position, a candidate must contain the following minimum requirements:
- A BA/BS in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Communications, or closely related field is required.
- Any combination of training and experience equivalent that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities to advise the Mayor on matters of public policy, constituent service, land use and development, business recruitment and retention,or citizen involvement.
- Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
Company: City of San José
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A