Website City of Fremont
Fremont is a well-managed and innovative city! Located in the heart of the
Bay Area and Silicon Valley, Fremont prides itself on innovation, clean
technology and advanced manufacturing, a low crime rate, great schools, a
low unemployment rate, quality parks, nearby open space, and an
incredibly diverse population of over 235,000 residents. As a full-service
city, Fremont employs 962 regular employees and operates on a FY 2020-21
General Fund budget of $213.4 million. With its strong and diversified
business base, Fremont is an important economic force in the region. The
City strives to be an innovator in municipal government, with dynamic
leadership provided by the City Council and City Manager.
The Community Development Technician performs a wide variety of technical, paraprofessional support, and customer
service duties related to building permits, development and planning applications. Examples of job duties include:
• Assists the general public at the front counter, in writing, or by phone regarding building and development review/
permit requirements, and provide general plan and zoning information.
• Assists the public in plan review and plan check filing procedures and processing.
• Answers inquiries regarding permit status.
• Accepts building permit and development review applications.
• Reviews applications for completeness and conformance with ordinances and department’s standards, policies and
• Reviews applications for modifications in land use, zoning, setbacks or other planning requirements such as
compliance with previously approved conditions of approval.
• Calculates impact, affordable housing, permit and plan check fees.
• Calculate various fees, prepare fee estimates and apply fees to permits or other development review billings.
• Approves and issues administrative over-the-counter permits.
• Enters permit data into an automated database.
• Coordinates with GIS staff in maintaining the address database.
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required to
perform the essential duties of the job would be qualifying. A typical way to accomplish this includes:
Graduated from high school or equivalent and additional coursework in the field of public planning,
architecture, construction technology or related subjects
Two (2) years of experience in the permit technician field, preferably with a public agency.
Company: City of Fremont
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Oakland, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A