Website City of Brownsville
THE OPPORTUNITY: The City of Brownsville is in a transformative period driven by significant public and private investments such as the expansion of the Brownsville-South Padre Island Airport Terminal, creation of a New Space City, the Port of Brownsville, Downtown Revitalization, and quality of life enhancements
Our ideal candidate for Deputy Clerk I aspires to be a model of innovation, inclusion and empowerment who enables bold people and ideas to thrive. The Deputy Clerk will be a participatory leader: a results-oriented, relationship-building, self-aware team player who also possesses high integrity, politeness, and fostering trust by building relationships with tolerance, patience and support in order to provide the best value in service of the citizens of Brownsville.
The purpose of the Deputy Court Clerk is to provide court support for assigned area of responsibility. The Deputy Court Clerk is responsible for entering data, updating and maintaining court case management software, and files; and performing various court and clerical functions. The class works according to set procedures under direct supervision.
- Assists and cooperates with the cross-training of other Municipal Court staff.
- Assists with disposing files when needed.
- Use scanners to covert court cases into electronic format.
- Performs a variety of research.
- Enters data in the Municipal Court Information System (MCIS – In code) to create and update defendant records for arraignment.
- Interviews defendants and determine their payment plan according to their financial ability to make monthly payments.
- Maybe required to work weekends/holidays.
- Verifies, maintains, and updates defendant’s information in the Court Management Software (In code) and Collections Software (Rev Q).
- Follows and complies with the Office of Court Administration’s rules when acting as Court Collector.
- Perform basic accounting functions when needed.
- Assists customers at our customer service counter by taking payments for parking citations, traffic violations, bail bonds, and other Court financial obligations.
- Prepares and issues summons for defendants.
- Requires high school diploma or GED, plus demonstrated clerical experience in a professional office or legal environment.
- Valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Bilingual Preferred (English/Spanish).
- Performs light work that involves walking or standing most of the time and involves exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis, or skill, adeptness and speed in the use of fingers, hands or limbs on repetitive operation electronic office machines or tools within moderate tolerances or limits of accuracy.
Company: City of Brownsville
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Brownsville, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A