Website City of Brownsville
THE OPPORTUNITY: The City of Brownsville is in a transformative period driven by significant public and private investments such as the expansion of the Brownsville-South Padre Island Airport Terminal, Space X, the Port of Brownsville, Downtown Revitalization, and quality of life enhancements.
Our ideal candidate for Detention Officer aspires to be a model of innovation, inclusion and empowerment who enables bold people and ideas to thrive. The Detention Officer will be a participatory leader: a results-oriented, relationship-building, self-aware team player who also possesses high integrity, politeness, and fostering trust by building relationships with tolerance, patience and support in order to provide the best value in service of the citizens of Brownsville.
The purpose of the Detention Officer is to ensure the safety and security of the jail and its inmates. The Detention Officer is responsible for securing the facility, processing the inmates, managing personal property, running security checks, and some clerical duties. The class works according to set procedures under direct supervision.
- Books, fingerprints, and photographs the inmates.
- Feeds the inmates and checks their well-being.
- Inventories, stores and secures inmate’s personal property.
- Maintains the security of the jail and the safety of the inmates.
- Searches inmate and performs cell checks for contraband.
- Maintains jail records release forms, log sheets and other documents.
- Attends to any emergency needs of an inmate or officer.
- Requires reading basic sentences, instructions, or work orders; writing simple sentences and completing uncomplicated job forms; speaking sentences using basic grammar.
- Cleans jail and booking areas.
- Performs related tasks.
- Requires high school diploma or GED
- Valid Texas Driver’s License.
- Jailer Certification
- Effective Communication
- Time Management
- Ethical Practice
- Customer Service
- Requires over one month and up to and including three months.
- Performs light work that involves walking or standing most of the time and involves exerting up to 20 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis, or skill, adeptness and speed in the use of fingers, hands or limbs on repetitive operation electronic office machines or tools within moderate tolerances or limits of accuracy.
Company: City of Brownsville
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Weslaco, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A