Website Canada Post
The Officer provides expert guidance on all disability programs related to absences from work, and accommodation of employees’ limitations at work. Programs include Absence Management due to disability, Disability Management (DM), Short-term Disability (STD), Workers’ Compensation (WCB) and Disability Insurance/Long-Term Disability (DI/LTD) programs; the Return-to-Work (RTW) and accommodation processes for employees with an occupational or non-occupational illness and/or injury; and the management of workers’ compensation claims, challenges, and internal appeals. Acts as the employer representative and liaises with various government agencies and officials in the management of complex or escalated claims; coordinates among all stakeholders.
- Directly manages all WCB cases involving employee injuries with the objective of addressing or aiding in resolution including return to work and cost containment.
- Facilitates a smooth return to work for employees returning from DI/LTD, injury on duty or complex non-occupational claims; coordinates involvement of all stakeholders. Participates in return to work meetings in complex cases and monitors performance on accommodation durations.
- Monitors program activity and results, issues and potential barriers. Assists Business Partners in identifying opportunities for improvement.
- Maintains a thorough knowledge and understanding of all related policies, procedures, standards and guidelines as well as relevant collective agreements and industry disability management best-practices. Remains current with changes in legislation that affect disability management and impact the corporation.
- Monitors complex employee absences (STD and LTD/DI) and complex accommodation cases working with the Team Leader, employee, union representative, and Disability Management provider(s) to coordinate a successful resolution.
- Reviews and analyzes WCB claims documents for their merit and decides whether to appeal or challenge individual cases; prepares written and oral submissions, including challenges at each level of the appeals process, with the exception of the Tribunal level appeals.
- Liaises with provincial WCB, ESDC, team leaders, and other stakeholders to ensure effective and timely decision making in order to prevent future claims and maximize cost efficiency of the reportable WCB claims.
- Participates in return to work planning for complex cases and monitors performance on compliance to accommodation policy and procedures.
- Reviews WCB claim payments to ensure accuracy of WCB costs, to prevent overpayment including review of time and leave entries of IOD leave codes.
- Coordinates the Job Search process and subsequent placement of employees with complex accommodations and/or Permanent Partial Disabilities (PPD). Supports managers and team leaders with identifying accommodation opportunities and ensuring involvement of all stakeholders. Responsible for the completion of the Accommodation Search Form and related processes.
- Enrollment in specific designation and or certifications programs may be required for certain positions (e.g. Finance & Engineering).
- Proficient computer skills and competent with Microsoft Office programs
- 1 to 3 years of relevant functional experience
- Strong communication, analytical, and customer service skills
- Completed post-secondary, preferably in a related field OR a combination of equivalent professional experience and training
(If managing a team) One or more years’ experience managing people
- One or more years of experience in a unionized environment an asset
Company: Canada Post
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
Application Deadline: N/A