Website BNSF Railway
Do you want to be a part of something that really matters? Team BNSF includes professionals focused on safety, service, and who take pride in delivering the nation’s freight. Together, we help move goods and materials that sustain life and support local, national and global economies. The BNSF rail network is one of the largest freight railroads, spanning 28 western states and serving three Canadian provinces.
Position has 3 levels of graduated proficiency handling intermodal equipment in railroad intermodal facility. Intermodal Equipment Operators may perform one level primarily; all Operators are expected to perform other levels as needed. Operate heavy equipment: cranes, side-loaders, forklifts, hostler trucks.
SAFETY: Comply with company and federal safety rules, policies and procedures, such as: wear required safety equipment; respond to and act on safety concerns.
GROUND SUPPORT WORKER: Assist Crane/Lift Operators to load trailers and containers on/off railcars and chassis. Work on uneven surfaces and walk long distances adjacent to railcar; climb on/off railcars. Place/remove locking/unlocking Interbox connectors weighing up to 16 lbs. Set container pedestals weighing up to 50 lbs on railcars. Lock/unlock and raise/lower trailer hitches on railcars.
HOSTLER TRUCK OPERATOR: Operate up to 65,000 lb trucks in yard, with trailing units 20-57 ft long. Maneuver tractor-trailer on tight corners, in/out of parking spaces. Use on-board computer peripheral to communicate with yard management. Railcar spotting and id processes. Understand chassis-owner relationship.
CRANE/LIFT EQUIPMENT OPERATOR: Operate rubber tire gantry crane or similar equipment to lift 20-57 ft trailers and containers, weighing up to 65,000 lbs, on/off railcars and intermodal chassis.
The duties and responsibilities in this posting are representative categories to be used in deciding whether to apply for the position. These general categories do not necessarily constitute an exhaustive list of duties of the position.
- At least 18 years of age, or will be by the anticipated start date listed above
- Read, write and communicate (speak, hear and understand) English
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Able to work full-time (40 hrs/wk) subject to overtime, nights, on-call (24/7), weekends, holidays
- Lift/carry up to 50 lbs
- Possess valid state-issued driver’s license
- Able to visually distinguish colors – red, blue, green, yellow; hear, and with training, distinguish auditory signals
- Accurately input data in computer systems
- Able to use hands to perform activities involving holding, grasping, turning and pulling
- Able to perform work on uneven surfaces; frequently climb on/off equipment
- Able to work in conditions with loud noise and fumes; work on/around heavy/moving machinery; bend, walk, stand, sit for extended time and use hand tools
Company: BNSF Railway
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Kearney, NE, US
Application Deadline: N/A